REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) is implementing an agreement with World Bank and intends to apply part of the funding for supporting these consultants positions in Belarus for the below mentioned activity.
ASSIGNMENT TITLE: CONSULTANT FOR ASSESSING THE STATE SYSTEM(S) FOR VALUING FOREST RESOURCES
The Consulting services include:
- Analyze the legal structure of state forest resource valuation and State Forest Cadastre of Belarus.
- Analyze international approaches to forest resource valuation and the hurdles confronting Belarus to apply such approaches for valuing forest resources in Belarus
- Analyze European criteria and indicators of sustainable forest management to see whether they could be applied for the assessment of sustainability of forest management in Belarus
- Analyze the recent legal developments in forest management sector in Belarus (mainly, Forest Code of the Republic of Belarus)
- Define the deficiencies and gaps of the two current systems of forest resource valuation and define the benefits of a potential unified system for forest resources valuation
- Propose the concept of the unified forest resource valuation system in which timber valuations and additional values such as climate change mitigation, recreation, energy, water catchment, biodiversity conservation, and rural livelihood development potential were also included in their calculus – provide relevant argumentation and explanation
- Analyze whether any legal amendments are needed in case a new forest resources valuation system is in place;
- Prepare a comprehensive analytical report with conclusions on the current situation on forest valuation in Belarus and proposals on the establishment of a unified system of forest resources valuation.
An individual with proven research capabilities and at least 5 years of relevant professional experience is required. The following are minimum qualifications:
- Master’s or higher Degree in Environmental Economy, Forest and Natural resource management or other related subject;
- Excellent knowledge of forest management and land planning regulatory framework of Belarus; international regulation of forest management;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the current system of forest resources valuation in Belarus as well as knowledge and acquaintance with governmental structures and other stakeholders;
- Knowledge and understanding of and working experience with FLEG Programme is an asset; Strong inter-personal skills and ability to work in different cultural contexts;
- Proven ability to prepare and write high quality studies for forest valuation;
- Fluency in written and spoken Russian; fluency in English is an asset;
- Computer literacy, including the use of MS Excel, PowerPoint, and Word or similar office applications, acquaintance with the principles of statistical analysis, as well as proficiency in performing internet research to support documents that may be required for program implementation.
The IUCN now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing their services. Interested consultants must provide their CVs with information demonstrating that they are qualified to perform the Services.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011)
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours, from 09:00 to 17:00 local time.
CVs must be delivered to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by e-mail) by 20th November, 2015.
Address: Minsk, 220002, 10 Kollektornaya St., office 537
Attn: Marina Belous, ENPI FLEG Country Program Coordinator in Belarus
Tel: +375 29 649 71 37